Search This Blog

Saturday, May 6, 2017

CDSM Transfer 4

Week 1

So, it's not been the most successful week. You know those investigators I was super excited about? Yeah, they already dropped us. We also got straight up yelled at by a person who was less than happy for us knocking on their door. We finally found a guy we talked to awhile back and he quickly turned us away. The YSA sisters, my dear MTC friends, got switched out for elders. Sister McBride is in a neighboring zone so I'll bump into her occasionally but sister Smith is now in Grand Junction in a ward bordering Pear Park so she's super lucky and I'm super missing her. Ha yeah it's been a sad week. I wish I had some kind of happy news or something but...hmm nope. Can't think of anything.
Before I came to Highlands Ranch, the district was also the zone. Last transfer, when I got here, they decided to split the district so we could have a normal zone with two districts. But that meant there were only 3 companionships in each district (you following?). Well, I guess they didn't like that so we're all back in one big zistrict, as I call it, but now there are 4 sets of elders and 2 sets of sisters. The other sister companionship has 3 sisters now so that's fun!
This weekend was stake conference and the main focus was missionary work. It's a great topic! The members in the area are so great and I'm excited to see all their efforts in the work.
I also have no pictures this week so...I'm sorry this was just a boring, downer kind of email. This week WILL be better!
Advice: don't forgot to be kind, tell your loved ones that you love them and be positive!

I love you all!
Sister Webster


I totally forgot to mention that I finally got to go to the Denver temple this week! We can only go every 3 months IF we're on the metro side of the mission. I missed the last one because I was definitely not metro side at the time. Anyway, here are the pictures. Twas a good day. The end.


Week 2

Thank you all for your kind words this week. Sounds like a lot of us had an off week. It happens. We move on and it gets better.
In fact, it's been a much better week. Week did a looot of tracting and got 3 new investigators! It's nice to know that there are nice people. It just takes some work to find them. And that's what missions are about: work, work, work. We also contacted 4 referrals. They all turned us away but we contacted them so that's an accomplishment. No one is ever home around here. Why would you be if you could be out in the mountains?
I went on exchanges with the wonderful Sister Messenger. She had a meeting in the early afternoon so I spent 2+ hours just hanging out in the mission office waiting for her. You wouldn't believe how interesting that place is (that wasn't sarcasm by the way). And how many of my missionary friends go through there during the course of a 2 hour period. After Sister Messenger got out of her meeting, we spent the rest of the day tracting. Her area reminded me much of Pear Park. It was a good day.
Friday was the stake youth variety show. The person who put it together really wanted some missionaries to be in it so she asked some of us to sing. We, along with a set of elders agreed. The catch was that the song couldn't be spiritual. Yeah, coming up with a song we'd be allowed to sing took us a few days. We finally decided on My Country Tis of Thee. Not sure how we sounded but it was fun anyway. Singing with people who know how to and want to sing is refreshing.
Saturday was kind of the biggest bummer of my life. See, Brad Wilcox (an LDS motivational speaker) and David Archuleta (the American Idol runner up from forever ago who is still famous) were doing a fireside in our stake center. The missionaries were invited IF they brought investigators. We had a few that said they'd come and one by one, they began cancelling. We had one left that was a "maybe" right before the devotional started. And he didn't show up. And we had to do the walk of shame out of the building along with a lot of other missionaries whose investigators flaked. I wasn't super sad about missing brother Wilcox since he had spent a day at youth conference in 2013 (although he is pretty cool). It was missing David that was super sad. I mean, I saw him walk in but I didn't get to hear him sing or anything. And so we went tracting. Completely unsuccessful. Completely disappointing. OK I need to stop with this pity party. I'll survive just fine. I'm here to be a missionary for Pete's sake. Speaking of which, I came across a couple scriptures today that gave me some comfort that I wanted to share. Being a missionary is hard so the only way I'm going to make it is to put my full trust in God and never ever give up.
Alma 26:12 & 27
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.
End of the day exhaustion.

Hope you week is looking up!
Sister Webster

Week 3

My oh my where do I even start? It's been a week of true miracles. I've definitely learned that fasting with a group of people helps those miracles pour in faster. Back when I was in Grand Junction, our zone did a fast for miracles and the following weeks were some of the most successful while I was there. Last week, one of our wards fasted for an increase in missionary work. Once again, the success has poured in.
It started Tuesday night when we ate dinner a less active members house. Her husband and kids are not members but they were all very friendly to us. We asked if we could share a message after dinner so she and the kids sat down and listened. Sister Broederlow shared her favorite story from the Book of Mormon. The kids loved it! And the mom said, "oh, that was a short message." Sister Broederlow and I looked at each other and pulled out a Restoration pamphlet. We gave them a full lesson. The kids asked questions and sat there completely enthralled. I've never seen anyone that into a lesson before, let alone a 9 and a 12 year old. At the end, we asked them if they thought that what we had taught was true. The 12 year old boy wasn't sure so we invited him to pray about it. He readily agreed. Then we turned to the 9 year old girl. She said with all the sincerity she could muster, "I know it's true. I know God gave us the Book of Mormon because He loves us and he wouldn't leave us in a sea of pasta [meaning apostasy]." I have never heard such a simple yet profound testimony in my life. The spirit was there so strong. We asked if we could come back and teach more and the kids basically jumped out of their chairs to beg their mom to let us come back. We handed them each a pamphlet to read and learn more about what we had taught and they ran to the couch to read it immediately. The girl told her mom, "Throw out all my other books. I just want to read this." The boy kept thanking us over and over again for coming and teaching them. I went home and cried that night and thanked Heavenly Father for leading us to this family.
The other huge miracle we experienced this week happened Saturday. We have been looking for this former investigator, Angela, for a few weeks now. She had been on date to be baptized but then she got very sick and the missionaries had to drop her. Unfortunately, these missionaries had not written down her address. {{{NOTE to current and future missionaries: Don't ever make that mistake. Take the area book seriously. Like the salvation everyone you teach is at stake. Because it is. Thank you.}}} Fortunately, the Earls keeps in contact with the missionaries who stay in their home. We asked sister Earl to contact those missionaries and ask if they remembered where Angela lives. One of them sent directions to the best of their memory. We then knew it was in a certain apartment complex and thought we knew what door had been described in the directions. We've been trying that door ever since but no one has ever answered. Well, Saturday we tried again with no luck. We decided to try the door next to it. A man answered and quickly told us that he wasn't interested. We began walking away when we heard a faint voice behind us. I almost thought I was just hearing things but we turned around and a tiny, frail old lady stood there beckoning to us. She asked us what religion we were and we told her. She sighed and said, "That's what I thought," with relief in her voice. She told us that her son was a little grumpy but that we were welcome to come back and teach her when he wasn't home. Was asked her what her was and she told us that it was Angela. We found Angela! Or rather, Angela found us.
One last story from the same day. It was an hour that I was able to experience the extreme ends of missionary life. We started tracting on a street that, in the past, had a lot of success. The first door we knocked on had a woman behind it who absolutely did not want to see us. She slammed the door. Not once but twice. And then as we continued on knocking on her neighbors doors, she came out to stand on her driveway and continued to yell and cuss at us. She was so angry that I was honestly worried she'd call the cops on us. Thankfully, everyone after that was very nice to us even if they weren't interested. The last door we knocked on, a nice man named Franco answered and agreed to help us with our survey. He was very animated and happy. He asked a few really good questions about religion because he was at a point in his life where he was wondering what is actually true. We got pretty excited by that and asked if we could come back and answer some of his questions later because there was what seemed to be a family gathering in the background and we didn't want to take more of his time from his family. He said, "Yes! My wife would love that."  During all of this, people kept walking by assumedly to see if he was almost done. While we were writing down our number to give to him, another man walked up and said, "Girls, just come on in! We're about to sing Franco happy birthday." We were like, "Wait, Franco, it's YOUR birthday? And you still talked to us?" He just chuckled and told us that he didn't want to be rude. We joined the family in singing happy birthday. It was good day.
OK enough stories for the day. Needless to say, overall it's been a GREAT week! Also, probably my record for longest email.

Sister Webster

Bonus: sister B and helium fun.

Week 4

So remember the grand adventure we took to Red Rocks and such? Well, while we were there, sister Fetuli fell and thought she had just bruised her knee or something. Weeks later, after dealing with increasing pain, she found out she had torn her ACL. She is now recovering from surgery at our house because she can't handle the stairs at her apartment. We sat down with sister Murdock and 3 companionships in the area and set up a rotating schedule of having someone sitting with sister Fetuli every day while work continues to happen in all of our areas still. It's been a circus in the Earls home this past week and they have been very good to us as up to 8 sisters can be in the house at once when we're shuffling around. But, sister Fetuli is recovering quickly so all is well! We just feel bad for her because she was supposed to go home on April 13th but because she had to have the surgery here (she's from Tonga so it was better for her to stay for surgery) she also has to have physical therapy well past that date. We just try to show her as much love and encouragement as possible. Anyway, Project Sister Fetuli has dominated our week but that didn't stop us from continuing to see miracles!
Monday night we stopped by the Johnstons because they hadn't set up an appointment with us. They welcomed us in and we were able to teach them again. We set up to come back later in the week but the kids got sick so they had to cancel. The mom texted us to apologize and then told us how much her kids loved us. She said we teach them in a way that they are engaged and she really hoped that we wouldn't get transferred before we could meet with them again. We reassured her that transfers are still a few weeks out and we proceeded to do a happy dance. Her words of gratitude made our week.
We still haven't been able to meet with Angela because things keep coming up and she had to cancel but she left a message telling us that she still really wants to meet with us and she trusts in the Lords timing.
While out knocking doors, we got a text telling us that we had a referral. The man had actually referred himself because he had been meeting with missionaries and had just moved to the area. I called him up and set up a time the next day to meet him. He and his girlfriend had just moved here a few days before and were very welcoming. We can tell he knows it's all true. He just has to make the commitment of taking the next step. We're excited to help him!
We went back and taught Franco this week. His wife sat in the lesson as well. They were both receptive and interested. When we asked if they'd read the Book of Mormon, he said that they might as well and she eagerly agreed. Seriously, the enthusiasm I've been seeing lately tops all that I've seen in the past 5 months combined. It's very encouraging, let me tell you.
And those are the highlights of the missionary stories this week. One more funny story:
There's a man named brother Guthrie in one of our wards who served a mission many years ago in a mission that did not allow nametags. Don't ask me why. It was considered unprofessional or something. Well, he's spent the last 40 years complaining about it and reminds all the missionaries to be grateful for their name tags and take good care of them. Sister Broederlow and I schemed up a plan to order him one. It's really not that hard and we don't know why someone didn't do it earlier. It came in on Saturday which was perfect because we were going to the Guthries the next day. We handed brother Guthrie a "thank you note" which had the tag in it. His eyes grew wide as he opened the envelope and gasped. He was genuinely so happy and thankful. He thanked us over and over and declared that he'd post about this on facebook and "be a missionary that way". Doing something so simple that makes someone so happy is the best. You should try it sometime.
And I managed to write a long email again. I don't know what is happening to me. Oh well. Hope you enjoy my take on life. It's great if you make it great!

Sister Webster

Week 5

Twas a week full of sickness, snow and spring break...for everyone but us. Which doesn't work out too well because we still have to work but everyone else is busy playing and can't meet with us. Haaa it's fine. We were sick and snowed in most of the week anyway. Which means there's not a lot to report on.
Tuesday was my day to stay in with sister Fetuli. She is doing great and starting to go on outings now. We spent the day coloring and singing and...I don't even know. The day was over really fast even tho we hardly did anything. 

Wednesday we woke up to a blizzard but we went out anyway. We had sister conference and it wasn't cancelled so off we went. I'm proud to announce that I never got us stuck or in an accident. I guess I'm pretty good in the snow. It was pretty scary at times tho. The stop lights were completely covered with snow so it was a real gamble at times going through intersections. As we left the meeting, most of the sisters were getting stuck before they even left the parking lot so we all helped each other get unstuck. Turns out, it's a great life skill to have. 
The rest of the day was spent inside cooking, cleaning and studying as well as outside shoveling. My back still hurts from that. It snowed several feet so it was a project. The good thing about Colorado snow is that it doesn't turn to ice so shoveling it actually works instead of just revealing the ice under the snow as is common in the Midwest. Plus it melts so much faster here. It snowed again the next day and yet the roads were completely clear within 24 hours. Seriously such a miracle. I love Missouri but winters here are much easier even if it snows more. Oh and it's never bitterly cold either. I shoveled with bare hands and was just fine.
Easter was really just like any other Sunday schedule wise. Which wasn't a problem. As long as we remember Christ, that's all that matters. Speaking of which, I totally forgot to send the links for the Easter videos this year. Many of you have probably already seen them but they're so good. You can't miss them! Follow Him and find new life. #Hallelujah

Have a good one!

Sister Webster

Week 6

My companion has been sick for going on 2 weeks now but that hasn't stopped work from getting done, although not as much as we'd have liked. Sister Richards (in a neighboring ward) has been sick as well so her companion, sister Uhri, and I have been tag teaming most days to get some work done while our companions try to recover together. And that has been on top of taking care of sister Fetuli. Which, by the way, she is doing very well! She is out and about more and more often, although she hasn't been cleared to do actual missionary work yet. Sadly, President Murdock has decided to house her at his house until she goes home so that we all can get back to work (assuming the sickness will pass). We will have to say goodbye to her tomorrow.
We almost put our little friends Evan and Avery on date for baptism this week. We're just waiting to hear back form their mom to see if their dad approved it. They are some seriously passionate kids and I love it.
Sister Broederlow felt prompted to text a former investigator, Apiffany, that we had previously been unable to contact. Apiffany soon texted back and said that she had been looking for our number everywhere but couldn't find it. She had wanted to go to church but didn't remember what time or what building we'd be at and was too shy to just show up. She is a sweet, young mother of an energetic 3 year old boy and she is pregnant with her second child. She's had a crazy, hard life but her love for her children and husband is undeniable. It always impresses me when people pull out of the rut they were raised in and rise higher.
It was General Conference this weekend! I was sure that I would finally be able to make it through the 8 hours without falling asleep. And yet I managed to nod off for a few minutes during one talk. It's a struggle. I really don't have much insight from conference to share right now. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I don't learn auditory very well. I will have to wait for all of it to be written out to really share what I learned. There was one talk that I liked that talked about home and visiting teaching (a program in the church that involve the members in caring for and teaching individual members and families in their congregation). I don't remember for sure who it was that gave it because I left my notes at home but I think it was Mervyn B. Arnold. But basically, I was sitting there saying amen in my head the whole time. It wasn't until my mission that I realized how important visiting (and home) teaching is. It's missionary work for the people who are already members. It's a way to know how each one of "the sheep" who are in the fold are doing and being aware of their needs. A way to make sure everyone has a friend and no one is lonely or left out. I guess I have a different perspective as a missionary. My whole focus right now is to bring people to Christ, members or not. I'd do it all if I could but my main duty is to the people who haven't heard the gospel yet. Please, please, if you have a home or visiting teaching route, take it seriously! Reach out. Don't give up on people. Love and care about them because they are precious children of God. Some of the most amazing people that I've met on my mission have been those people on the ward directory that no one in the ward know. Don't miss out on a great opportunity to meet these unknown people and strengthen the people you already know. *steps off soapbox*
Aaaaaanyway, yesterday I saw a new Mormon Message taken from President Uchtdorfs talk that he gave at women's conference last week I believe. He talks about receiving the shower of Gods blessings by not putting up our umbrellas of doubt, disobedience and other blessing-deterrents. Sorry the link is so long and ugly...
And speaking of President Uchtdorf, if you were watching conference yesterday, he said something in German and then said something to the extent of "for those of you who do not speak the celestial language...". I didn't hear the translation because the whole group of missionaries we were sitting with were laughing way too hard. What made it really funny was that one of the elders in my district is straight from Germany and he turned around and looked at all of us with great pride in his eyes. It was probably way funnier in person. Sorry to bore you with that silly story but it really was funniest thing I'd seen all day.
Well that was longer than expected. Better get going. Oh! Transfers are this coming week so all mail needs to go to the mission office. Thank you!

Sister Webster

Bonus: me singing in a quartet with sister B and a set of elders.


Week 7

This week I went on exchanges with sister Poulton. She has only been out for one transfer but she is an amazing missionary. Like, really, I want to be like her when I grow up to be a missionary...(oh wait...). While on that exchange I kept thinking "I could totally be companions with her". Apparently God overheard my thoughts because, starting tomorrow, she will be my companion!
Also, besides getting a new companion, I will be whitewashing (that means both my companion and I will be going into a new area together). The weird part is, I will still be covering the Westridge ward. They (President and whoever else makes these decisions) decided to reassign some areas in the stake. So, goodbye to Summit View ward. I will miss you! Hello Roxborough ward! I hope I can figure out what I'm doing sooner than later... Oh yeah, and all but 4 of the 12 missionaries in the zone are being transferred. That's a lot of whitewashing happening around here.

I left my old planner at home and can't for the life of me remember much of what I did last week. We had a birthday celebration after district meeting because 3 of the elders had birthdays this past week. We asked one of our members if she could make a cake (because she makes realllly good cake) and she did. It was delish. 

We stopped by to see Evan and Avery. They haven't gotten permission to be baptized yet but I have a good feeling it'll be a yes. I seriously love those kids and I'm glad I'm staying in their ward so I can keep teaching them.
Ummmm I know I'm forgetting something. But oh well. I'm sure I'll have plenty to say next week.

Have a good one!

Sister Webster

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!