Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

The Adventures of Mexican Driving

One morning, while still in Acapulco, I woke up at about 7am. I was a little annoyed because I actually had the chance of sleeping in that morning but, oh well. I later found out from my uncle that there had been a slight earthquake at about that time and that could have been the cause of my waking but I never felt anything. So here I was, awake and with nothing to do yet. My brain must have been in a extra creative mode because I picked up the pen and pad of paper on the table next to me and wrote this poem. I don't write poetry by the way. I've written probably 2 or 3 other poems in my life so this was pretty spontaneous.



Driving in Mexico

Those drivers in Mexico,
They make me crazy-o.
Some of the things they do,
Would make you crazy too.

Stop signs are optional.
Speed limits, no point at all.
Cutting me off is a daily event,
While trying not to crash into a vendors tent.

Buses blocking the road,
Trucks carrying over-sized loads.
The traffic is nuts,
And I go bumping through all the ruts.

A drive that should take me 20 minutes, easy,
Will take me an hour, IF I'm lucky.
Speed bumps are everywhere,
While potholes fly me through the air

Oh, how I want to go home!
Not stuck on this street where a million merchandisers roam.
Some people honk for the fun of it,
But me? I'm quite done with it.


By the way, who would be going through a gas station at 10km an hour?

One more random thing that has nothing to do with driving. Have you ever seen prepackaged toast in a vending machine? Neither had I.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!