Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Summer Dream

Do you remember that last minute adventure I went on last summer? It was this crazy backpacking trip at a Boy Scout high adventure camp called Philmont. Yeah, well, it was so life changing that I'm going back this year. Not just going back but I'm going to work there as a Ranger. I leave this week and trust me, I still can't believe it.
It all started a few days into my trek last summer. Somehow, I got it in my head that I wanted to become a ranger. A few months after I got home, I gave it a shot. I sent in an application and after a few more long months, I got staff papers in return. I sent those papers back and they were like hey, see you in May. And that was that. I'll be living in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of New Mexico until mid-August. In a tent, by the way.

Some people have asked if I'm going because of the boys. Let's just think about this for a second. These boys haven't showered in 10 days. Um, no.  I found this video that a ranger made from two summers ago. It gives you just a taste of the beauty of Philmont and the real reason why I'm so excited to go back.


Philmont - A Ranger's Summer from Tucker Prescott

So if you want my email, phone number (I have a cell phone now) or my summer address (to, you know, send me stuff) just ask my mom. She's got my digits. Oh and if you just happen to be driving through, stop by and see me! Although you can't go into the back country without signing up way in advance, you're welcome to visit me at base camp.
If you're not able to keep in contact with me in any of those ways, I'll be posting on instagram (@shakyraquin) and I'm planning (aka really hoping I can) on doing occasional blog posts throughout the summer so you can keep up with me here. See ya on the flip side!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! Have a wonderful time, KQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place! Have a wonderful time, K.Q..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philmont is such a beautiful place. You will have an amazing summer and be a great addition to the program. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear from you. Have a wonderful time! ~ the H's in KC

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!