Search This Blog

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Into the Archives 54-Cliff Dwellings

Today is Ranger Report day at Philmont and I'm missing New Mexico like nothing else. So I'm going back to my very first memory of New Mexico.
Sometime in 2004, we were on a road trip in the southwest and stopped at Bandelier National Monument (at least we are pretty sure that's what it was but it's been so long we're not sure). There, we hiked a short distance to the long-abandoned cave dwellings of the Pueblo people.
I only have wispy memories but I do remember climbing up into the little caves and being in awe that people had actually lived there and imagined what it might have been like had I lived there.
With a quick glance, this canyon almost looks like the scenery you see from the back country camp "Indian Writings" (appropriately enough). I had no idea back then how important this kind of landscape would become to me. The park is just a 3 hour drive from Philmont. *commence nostalgic whimpering*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!