Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

15+ Hours at the Temple and Counting


We jokingly call it "Bootie Duty". Unfortunately that's kind of ah...not as appropriate as other names so I'm just calling it "Foot Covering Patrol". My first day volunteering at the temple open house, April 16, I was on the afternoon shift and I was doing this job. That is, putting pieces of plastic that look like shower caps on everyones feet as they were going into the temple for the tour. A basket of shoe covers looks something like this:
Sometimes there was some waiting that happened. Actually, a quite a bit of the time. Monday afternoon isn't the busiest of times.
 Just a lot of hurry up and wait for five hours. But it was totally worth it! But don't imagine the wrong picture ether. There was plenty of busyness too.

I didn't get any pictures of us in action because...well we were a little busy. Sometimes I only saw feet for a while. Feet. Lots and lots of feet! Well, shoes really. In some ways that's all those five hours revolved around. From toddler shoes to shoes that...just...didn't...quite...fit into the covers. When those shoes didn't fit, we would ask if he (there wasn't ever a woman that had this problem I don't think) could remove his shoes and put the covers on his feet. Then we would take his shoes to the exit at the back of the temple where he could get them back when the tour was finished. That was always a little awkward.

After awhile, some of us started to hear a pattern. There were some lines that it seemed as if every other person would say and we would just laugh politely. Here is the "Top 5" list that we finally came up with:

Top Five Things Not to Say to the "Foot Covering Patrol"
because we get tired of hearing them. (Trust me...it's not as original as you think.)
  1. "Wow you're going to do this for me?"
  2. "My feet are so big..."
  3. "Can I take you home with me? It would be so helpful to have someone to help me with my shoes."
  4.  "What a great service!"
  5.  *screaming little kid that refused to have anything on their feet* "AAAAAAHHHHH!!! NOOOO!!!"
But my favorite line I heard was "I should have brought smaller feet!". Something different like that was quite refreshing.
Remember, this list is simply for humor (although an accurate observation) and I'm not making fun of anyone who said any of the above. We were somewhat bored and those little things were what amused us.

The second day I went to help, April 26, I was expecting to go back and do the whole thing over again. Just for two consecutive shifts this time. I ended up staying at friends house the night before so we could get up bright and early and be there for training that started at 7am.
 This is my friend and her mom on the way to the temple ready to start helping.

The number one rule for volunteers: be flexible! I did just that. Instead of shoe covering for the first shift, I was assigned to open the inside front door. It's surprising how fast 5 hours go when you're in the temple. Although my feet and legs and back started hurting almost right away, the shift was over before I knew it and I took a quick break to find my lunch and then headed back to the temple. I was again under the impression that I would do shoe covers but I was, once more, assigned to door duty. Just at the back of the temple this time. Because I was now outside, I actually got to sit most of the time and be with other youth. Turns out the deacons seem to always get sent to the back so I got to know a few of them pretty well. Even though my brother is a deacon, I still forgot how entertaining they can be.
 A random fact: 
After about ten hours of door opening, my hands smelled a bit like copper.

My thoughts now that the open house is all but over: I'm a little sad. I enjoyed going to the temple multiple times a week and being able to go through the entire temple. I won't be able to do that for a long time after its dedicated. In fact last week, only 4 days after I had been there, I was already starting to feel anxious to go back. On the other hand I am way excited. The dedication is just a week away! After that I'll be able to do baptisms and go as often as I want to (within reason) even if it is closed to the public. It's a bitter-sweet feeling but I'm just really glad that its here. I didn't think there would be a temple build in KC while I was still a kid or teenager and yet here it is. The new gem of I-435 and the rest of the city.

Note: All these pictures were taken on my iPod. I'm so glad I have it because I don't think I could have gotten as many pictures with a full camera. I will be posting a whole bunch more that I took of the temple over the last few weeks soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!