Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A City Bigger Than Mine!

Can it be? Bigger than mine? No! Well actually yes. There a lot of 'em. I just happened to visit one of them recently! Good 'ol Chicago!
Long story short: a family we know (and are good friends with) needed a helper to come along with them because there was a wedding and the kids couldn't go to everything etc etc etc*.  So I agreed to go. It was pretty wild!
*I just saw the King and I last night...so...etc etc etc...
Day 1
June 2nd

We got up early and traveled all morning by car. We got to Chicago at about 3pm and promptly went swimming in the hotel pool. (I think that's what the kids were looking forward to the most.) For dinner we went to an Italian restaurant called "Vini Cusina Italiana". Highly recommended. Its one of those "Don't judge a book by its cover" places.

Day 2
June 3rd
The next morning we packed up all our stuff to move to a new hotel closer to the wedding events. After the car was full of every suitcase yet again, we headed down town to do some sight seeing. On the way we saw this:
Its something I've only seen in movies but I guess people really do clean skyscrapers. I think their pretty crazy.
We ended up going to Lincoln Park. There is a little farm, a zoo, walking paths and just across the highway is Lake Michigan. 
First we stopped at the farm. The two older girls sat in the huge tractor in the barn.
 After the farm we went walking and found this:
 Its just another random sculpture that you could take a nap in. Well I don't know...you can at least sit in it.
As we kept going there were some...um...spray pained trees. It looked like something from a Dr. Seuss book.
And then we came to the bridge to walk across that goes over the highway. What a novel idea. And what was at the other end of said bridge? The lake. Yes...the lake that looks like an ocean to us small little humans. And that is really what it looked like. Hundreds of people in swim suites, lots and lots of water and sand, nice policemen on horses, and a giant boat...no wait...an outdoor restaurant that looks like a boat. And that is where we stopped for lunch. I didn't get any pictures because I was too busy eating.
Well after lunch we went back over the bridge and down the path to...the zoo! It was small but free! Unlike our zoo which is gargantuan and not free. So anyway we spent another hour looking at animals.

 Then we went to check into our new hotel and got ready for dinner. Dinner was at a Greek restaurant. I haven't had too much Greek food and it wasn't my ultimate favorite but it was worth it for dessert. Have you ever had baklava? I had tried some a couple months ago and loved it! But this time I got even more. Enough to fill my craving to the top. I was in heaven for a few blissful moments. (Seriously though if you haven't had any your missing out. Just go to a Greek or Indian restaurant and try some.)

Day 3
June 4th

I was looking forward to this day because this was the day that we went to Millennium Park. I have wanted to see "The Bean" for a long time. And that is exactly what we did.
As we walked into the park we heard music. Very exciting and exotic music. We asked a park security person what it was "Oh, its a yoga class on the pavilion lawn." Turns out it was more than a just a yoga class. In fact I'm not sure that is what it was. Just watch the movie below and you decide.
After watching that crazy sight we went on to The Bean. Its real name is Cloud Gate but its more common to call it The Bean. Its this huge, silver...well actually stainless steel...thing. That's a good description too. Like a lot of modern art, the easiest way to describe it is a "thing". But it really does look like a bean so that's where the name came from.
 Its amazing really. 110 tons, 66 feet long and 33 feet high. And supposedly its polished every day! Wow!
After tearing myself away we went over to Crown Fountain. Another amazing art "thing"...although its easier to describe. Two fountains facing each other. Literally. They are 50 foot hight LED screens with glass bricks over them so that water can flow down the faces that show up on the screen.
In between these two towering fountains is a shallow area that you can splash in. And every once in a while...
...you get sprayed!
This is a recap of these cool sights. Movie style.

But we had to be to the wedding at 2:00. So with wet kids-actually no...sopping wet kids-we hurried back to the hotel. I don't think I've been to a Catholic wedding before but it was very interesting.
The reception was an hour later and this was the main reason I had come on this trip in the first place. The kids couldn't go to it so I had come to be babysitter for the night. And naturally after only a couple hours I got a whopper headache. So yeah that was fun! But hey I survived.

Day 4
June 5th

So for the final morning we walked down the street to Marion Street Cheese Market for the wedding breakfast. I had some delicious french toast and ate the 3 fruit cups that none of the girls wanted. Then we went back to the hotel for the final time to pack and I was wedged between a booster seat and the car window again as we journeyed back to an only slightly smaller city that I call home. 
But before we got home we stopped at Iowa 80. Its only the largest truck stop in the world....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!